Monday, April 24, 2017

Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme/original feature created at The Broke and The Bookish this weeks list are Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book .  For more information check it out here. 

1.  Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic  - I have never cared for these even back in high school.  Could not stand Lord of the Rings, The Time Machine or even Brave New World.  I tried reading Divergent, but unlike the required reading in high school , I ended up DNF'ing this.

2.  Science Fiction - Never liked science fiction as far back as I can remember.  I can remember watching the original Star Trek series, only because we only had one tv for awhile growing up in the 70s.  Now, the Jetsons, I could watch,  but forget about any of the Star Treks, Star Wars or most any other movie that is categorized as sci-fi.  Therefore I don't like reading sci-fi either.

3.  A book being compared to Gone Girl or Girl on the Train  I didn't like either of these books and I actually never should have read Girl on the Train, since it was compared to Gone Girl and I disliked that one!

4.  Graphic Novels - These really haven't done much for me and since I enjoy good character, as well as plot development, I really don't see me enjoying graphic novels in the future.

5.  Erotica - Regular romance novels can be descriptive enough at times, plus erotic novels usually are not very developed on plot.  I want a good story with romantic elements and not just sex.

6.  Zombies, Vampires, and Werewolves - These elements just don't interest me in the least. Never watched Buffy, The Vampire Slayer and do not watch The Walking Dead.

7.  Steampunk - Not positive what exactly steampunks includes, but it doesn't interest me from what I've heard.

8.  Poetry - Nursery rhymes or Dr. Seuss to read children or other children's books with rhyming lines are fine, but I can't just sit down and read poetry for the sake of it.

9.  Horror - At one time, I enjoyed Dean Koontz and read a little of John Saul, I think,  I have several books on my Kindle by Lisa Jackson in her New Orleans series, but I'm really not in the mood to read it anymore,  Never could get into Stephen King, either.  I was never a big horror movie fan, other than Nightmare on Elm Street movies when I was a teen and young adult.

10.  Animal cruelty.  The book, Wild portrayed an incident of animal cruelty and that among other things in the book made me greatly dislike the book.  It really was unnecessary for her to include it in the book anyway..

11.  Christian fiction that comes across too preachy.  I enjoy some Christian fiction, but there are some authors that just come across a way too preachy.

What about you?  What turns you off of a book.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! Poetry and horror are both not going to happen for me. I appreciate poetry as an art form, but I just can't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree on erotica, not my thing either.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/top-ten-tuesday-104/

    ReplyDelete