Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme/original feature created at The Broke and The Bookish this weeks list are Ten New-To-Me Authors you read for the 1st Time in 2016.  For more information check it out here.

These are in no particular order, other than the order I read them this year.

Ransom Riggs

I was a late comer to these books and decided in the spring of this year to finally pick up Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  I really was unsure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed the book and went on to read Hollow City this fall.  I'll tackle the final book in the series, Library of Souls in the spring again.  Hopefully, he will come out with a new book soon!

Annie Rains

I discovered this author through NetGalley and have read the Welcome Home series, she put out this year.  She is starting a new romance series next year and I look forward to it.

Harlan Coben

I had been hearing about him for several years, but never read any of his books. Finally, I decided to listen to one of his books on audio through the Overdrive app from my library, Caught.  I really liked it, but think that next time, I'll read it rather than listen so I won\'t miss any of the details to the story.

Martha Hall Kelly

Ms. Kelly wrote her debut novel, Lilac Girls and it is up for the 2016 Goodreads award for Debut Author and I definitely think she stands a good chance of winning.  It revolves around 3 women during WWII, the only female doctor at Ravensbroucke concentration camp, a young woman interned at Ravensbroucke, and an American debutante involved in the war effort at home.

Kristin Hannah

I've been meaning to read Kristin Hannah and even have had her Firefly Lane on my Kindle for the past few years, but this year I listened to the audiobook, Home Front.  I now need to move Firefly Lane up in my TBR.

Heather Burch

I got her book One Lavender Ribbon, a couple years ago as part of Amazon's Kindle First program where a few books that will be released the following month is made available early on Kindle format, but I kept putting the book off until later.  But earlier this year, I finally read it and just loved it.  I have just noticed, a new book by Heather Burch was available on NetGalley as an ARC and was able to get it.  Since it will come out in January, I hope to get to it by then or at least before the end of the  month.

Nicholas Sparks

Surprisingly, I don't think I ever read any of his books until this year and quite recently at that.  I saw a couple of his books that became movies, but never read them.  I listened to The Best of Me on audio at the end of August and really enjoyed it.  I definitely plan to pick up others.

Shelley Shepard Gray

Ms. Gray is a Christian author and writes Amish mystery/romances.  Although I do not mind Christian fiction at all, I am always a bit leery, because I like them more on the lighter side than in the ones where it seems as if the author is preaching to you through the characters.  These books did not have that feel and although the story took place in an Amish community, one did not feel the story was preachy.  I would consider reading or listening to more by Shelley Shepard Gray in the future.

Lee Childs

I've been hearing about the Jack Reacher novels for years and they just never highly appealed to me.  But since they are making it into a movie, my interest kind of was piqued; although I cannot really see Tom Cruise as a convincing Jack Reacher.  Isn't Jack Reacher suppose to be well over 6 feet, while Tom Cruise is about 5 foot 5 or 6?  The first book, Killing Floor while very long, at over 500 pages also kept my interest and I have put the next book on reserve.

Leila Meacham

I very recently listened to her book, Roses on audio and loved it.  I look forward to reading the prequel, Somerset and have an ARC of Crowning Design which is being released.

1 comment:

  1. Kristin Hannah is one of my favourite authors and Firefly a favourite of hers, enjoy it. I haven't read Homefront but I am sure I will get to it.

    Harlan Coben has been on my list forever, I need to change that.

    ReplyDelete