Wednesday, December 2, 2015

November Wrap Up!

I had a very good reading month in November with 8 books completed, one in process and one that I just could not finish.  
I'm currently reading Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County: A Family, A Virginia Town, A Civil Rights Battle by Kristin Green about a county in Virginia that closed down their public schools rather than integrate their public schools in the late 50s and early 60s. 
2.5 stars
Christmas Wishes and Mistletoe Kisses, I reviewed a few days ago.  So check my previous post, please.

 4 stars
I also reviewed Soldier Girls by Helen Thorpe, which I listened to the other week

 5 stars
and also read and reviewed Dogtology by Jeff Lazarus.  These also can be found as separate blog posts.

3 stars
Over the past 2 years, I slowly read Chicken Soup for the Adopted Soul by Jim Canfield.  It is made up of some very good short stories by persons involved in different ways with adoption.  Some were not as enjoyable, but overall, I enjoyed it. 

 5 stars
Heartsong Cottage is the 10th book in the Eternity Springs series and was an ARC I received from the publisher through NetGalley.  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1406151727
 3 stars
My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Woman Discovers Her Nazi Past by Jennifer Teege was listened to on audio and is about a biracial young woman, who although she knows she is adopted, finds out her maternal grandfather was Nazi commandant. Amon Goeth.
 2 stars

I also listened to Candyfreak: A Journey Through The Chocolate Underbelly of America.  It was really just an okay book.
3 1/2 stars
Beyond Belief: My Secret Life in Scientology and My Harrowing Escape was a very interesting audiobook.  It is by the niece of the current leader of Scientology.  It is a very bizarre religion (cult) and it makes one wonder how seemingly intelligent  people, including celebrities Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Ally, etc. can believe in it.  I very much am interested in reading Leah Remini's new book about her life in it and why she left. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1428096206

I started Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich on audio.  Why I specifically chose it, I am not sure; I guess it sounded like a good premise.  I got about halfway through and there was soft-core submission and domination and I could not go on.  It was not the two main characters, but I did not care to stick around anymore and waste my time reading this.  

I pretty much don't plan out my reads enough to do a monthly TBR.  But in December, I plan to finiksh the book I;m reading and read a couple Christmas stories.  I know I have an ARC Christmas story, Operation White Christmas: An Escape to the Country Novella by Nikki Edwards.  I just noticed that uit is part of a series, but I'll give it a try and hope it can be read without reading the previous ones.  I have 1 or 2 library books coming I think and I recently picked up a free copy of the classic, A Christmas Carol.  I've seen countless movies, but don;t think I  ever read the actual book.  I actually need to start reading the occasional classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment