Sunday, February 17, 2019

I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel

I'd Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. I found myself agreeing with the author to a lot of her comments. A lot of her reflections took me back to my youth. How wonderful it would be to live next to a library. There were a few chapters that greatly bored me, for example the acknowledgements and organizing one's bookshelves. The chapter on acknowledgements seemed to go on and on with example after example. We, readers know what acknowledgements are don't need endless pages of examples. Also much of this book, can be found probably on blogs, probably on the author's blog or in her podcasts. I've never frequented her blog or podcast, so am not sure what is or isn't there, but other than the very personal accounts of her life, I have seen some of it listed elsewhere. Even with these criticisms, I still enjoyed most of the book and feel it is 4 stars; okay, maybe 3.5 or 3.75 rounded up to 4 stars on Goodreads. Amazon has the book for over $8, but I read it on Kindle Unlimited during a period when they had an offer of 3 months for 99 cents. Although I do recommend the book, I don't recommend spending $8 on it. Borrow it from the library or wait for a price drop or even get it on Amazon Marketplace or a similar sit for much less. If you are a fan of her blog or podcast, you might not mind spending the money, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment