Friday, May 1, 2020

Book Beginnings/The Friday 56 - 5/1/2020



Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader. The idea is to share a sentence or so from the first page and the 56th page of the book you are currently reading!  Also, I will now also include a brief synopsis.


Escape

The dramatic first-person account of life inside an ultra-fundamentalist American religious sect, and one woman’s courageous flight to freedom with her eight children.

When she was eighteen years old, Carolyn Jessop was coerced into an arranged marriage with a total stranger: a man thirty-two years her senior. Merril Jessop already had three wives. But arranged plural marriages were an integral part of Carolyn’s heritage: She was born into and raised in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS), the radical offshoot of the Mormon Church that had settled in small communities along the Arizona-Utah border. Over the next fifteen years, Carolyn had eight children and withstood her husband’s psychological abuse and the watchful eyes of his other wives who were locked in a constant battle for supremacy.

Carolyn’s every move was dictated by her husband’s whims. He decided where she lived and how her children would be treated. He controlled the money she earned as a school teacher. He chose when they had sex; Carolyn could only refuse—at her peril. For in the FLDS, a wife’s compliance with her husband determined how much status both she and her children held in the family. Carolyn was miserable for years and wanted out, but she knew that if she tried to leave and got caught, her children would be taken away from her. No woman in the country had ever escaped from the FLDS and managed to get her children out, too. But in 2003, Carolyn chose freedom over fear and fled her home with her eight children. She had $20 to her name.

Escape exposes a world tantamount to a prison camp, created by religious fanatics who, in the name of God, deprive their followers the right to make choices, force women to be totally subservient to men, and brainwash children in church-run schools. Against this background, Carolyn Jessop’s flight takes on an extraordinary, inspiring power. Not only did she manage a daring escape from a brutal environment, she became the first woman ever granted full custody of her children in a contested suit involving the FLDS. And in 2006, her reports to the Utah attorney general on church abuses formed a crucial part of the case that led to the arrest of their notorious leader, Warren Jeffs.

Book Beginnings

share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Preface

The Choice Was Freedom or Fear

Escape.  The moment had come.  I had been watching and waiting for months, The time was right. I had to act fast and without fear. I could not afford to fail.  Nine lives were at stake: those of my eight children and my own.

My thoughts: This beginning paragraph grabs you from the start and makes you want to read more. Since 2011, when I obtained my first Kindle, I have read a book of some sort on FLDS or a similar polygamist Mormon group each year.  At this time, I have been wondering how this COVID-19 has been affecting them.


THE FRIDAY 56

RULES:

*Grab a book, any book.

*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your ereader.
If you have to improvise, that is okay.

*Find a snippet, short and sweet.


Page 56

By the end of the first week, I realized that for the first time I was embarrassed to be a woman.


I'm excited to continue on delving into this book.  I just started this book last night and merely read the Preface, so I haven't come upon this passage yet.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that this book is not one I would easily pick up. However, I think that it would be a triggering read.
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that first part and said wow! I have a feeling that whole book has a lot of wows in it! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete