Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Top 5 Books of 2016


I can’t believe that it is the middle of January and I have not yet posted my favorites of 2016.  I had planned to post my Top Ten of 2016, but my top five is very clear to me and the next 5 would take quite a bit of pondering.  Also, since it is mid-January I need to get this post completed and Blogger where I post this has been deleting my posts, while I am typing and editing them.  This has been incredibly frustrating and I have checked and there seems to not be a way to get back a post, especially has not been published yet.
#5
The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean Defector's Story


The first of two audiobooks that I read about a young woman, who was able to escape from the oppressed regime of North Korea, was the far better book.  Although both were good.  The Girl with Seven Names was far superior and held my attention from beginning to end.
#4
Moloka'i


The cover of this book is what first attracted me to it when I got it a few years ago.  I had no knowledge of the role that the island of Molokai’I played in the history of Hawaii.  Upon learning that this book deals with the main character having leprosy, may not sound very interesting and a more than a bit depressing, but this is far from the reality of the book.  Molokai’I is a fascinating look into perseverance, keeping a positive outlook and trying to live as normal of a life as possible under very challenging conditions. 

#3
Roses

Although I listened to Roses by Leila Meacham, this was one of several books that I read that was over  600 pages.  This is the saga of an East Texas family covering about 100 years.  I just loved it!

#2

Small Great Things


A very relevant book for these times by the best-selling author, Jodi Picoult, who is known for her controversial topics, often with unexpected twists.  A book that makes you think.

#1
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration



Although The Warm the of Other Suns is a large book of nearly 650 pages, it did not seem that long, since it is quite addictive and is the story of 3 African-Americans, who migrated from the South to cities in the north and west during the period known as The Great Migration between 1915 and 1970.  The book follows their entire lives up through the late 20th and into the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment